Wednesday, August 15, 2012

the terminator

It is a well known and documented fact that I hate spiders.  They are creepy and gross and I suspected they all have a secret desire to eat my face.  I have made a deal with them that if they don't come into my living area, I will not kill them when I am in their living area.  (Really, this deal applies to all creatures, not just spiders.)

I'm very good at holding up my part of the bargain. When I'm out running and I see a spider on the trail, I very carefully avoid it and do not squish it, as it would be so easy to do.  When I am out camping (a rare occasion, I know), I let sleeping spiders lie and I don't kill them, even when they're close to me.  (Unless they get into my hair; all bets are off when things get into your hair.)  I don't even knock down their filthy little webs when they are outside my door, as long as they are outside and seem like they won't try to come in, in good faith.  I'm trusting like that.

But now I live in the south.  I have had several instances of spiders in my bedroom.  So far (knock on wood) they have been small "harmless" looking ones, so I've just let them be.  I suspect my sister Alison would be proud because she always says to let them live anyway.  And having nine foot ceilings and a vacuum without a hose probably has something to do with it.

If there is one thing I will not tolerate, however, it is spiders in the bathroom.  Bathrooms are the area in the house where you are most vulnerable!  You're either using the facilities or showering and half the time I don't have my contacts in when I'm in there, so OH MY GOSH IS THAT A SPIDER OR A BAND-AID?!

The point to all this is that I have become somewhat of an expert of killing spiders in the bathroom.  Well, I've killed one so far, but it was such an easy experience that I feel like I could do it again.  I was even in bare feet!  I just saw it there, didn't panic, grabbed some toilet paper and flushed it.  I was so proud of myself I decided to blog about it because most of you will know what a big deal this is to me.  And also because Tawna has been bugging me again to update my blog and this seemed like as good a topic as any.


P.S.  Doing a google image search of "no spiders allowed" to find the above stock photo lead me to the most disgusting search result page I have ever stumbled upon and it made me want to vomit, so I hope you're happy.  But I did find this guy, so maybe it was worth it.... aaaaaaaaw!  Though there is still about a 50% chance I would try to flush that thing if I found it in the bathroom



3 comments:

  1. You're killing me, Smalls. If love to read your blog post of what happens after you try to flush that last one down the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took a story about flushing a spider down the toilet and made if fun to read! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, you don't really live in the South. Mid Atlantic is more accurate.

    ReplyDelete