Wednesday, February 15, 2012

it's a small (mormon) world after all

Since I've started my job, a few people have asked me if there were any other Mormons who work there.  I said I'm sure there were, but I hadn't met any specifically, because it's not like you can always tell.  Well, I went to work today, just like every other week day.  A new (middle aged) gentleman was being shown around and introduced to people.

When he got to my cube, he said, "You know, you're the second Kristin Neeley I've met in my life."

I said something non-committal like, "Huh, that's interesting."  I mean, it doesn't seem like a stretch that someone else in this wide world could have my same name.  It's not that unusual.

He went on. "Only she spells her name without an "i" in the beginning - Krsten."

Now he had my attention!  I'm fairly sure in this wide world there really is only one Krsten (pronounced "Kristin") Neeley and she is my aunt.  I said as much.

Now I had his attention.  "Oh yes?" he went on. "Are you... Steve's daughter?"

I said I was Steve's niece, but that I was Bruce's daughter.

He said that he used to work with my uncle - Keith (Krsten's husband) - and that they had figured out that he was second cousins to Bruce, June, Steve and Keith, their grandparents being siblings.  (Note to my mother, Eleanor and Justin, being the siblings.)  This would make me his second cousin, once removed.  And of course, we got to chatting a bit more after that.  He gave me his phone number, in case I need anything, in true Mormon relative fashion (me being new to the area and all) and told me about his kids at BYU.

So there you have it - the first Mormon I meet at work and it turns out we're related.  Of course.  Welcome to Mormonville.


3 comments:

  1. Hooray for a small Mormon world! Next up, there is a boy (OK, man) in DC that I want you to meet and marry. Think you could do that for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of date you went on with a certain young man who liked to carry around his genealogy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of when you went and interviewed for a job and thought the guy looked a lot like one of your friends in college...I remember giving a very good reference about you to him too. I miss you Kristin!

    ReplyDelete