Wednesday, February 29, 2012

thank.... you....?

My sister, Jane, is in town for a few days for work, so since she was here, we met up with a few of her friends for dinner.  We met up in Old Town, Alexandria, and, as you know if you've ever been told Old Town, it can be hard to find a parking spot.

We drove around the block a few times and spotted one just a block from our destination.  The trouble was that it was on a one way street and the spot was on the left.  I'm already not the world's best parallel parker (though I did *almost* park in a spot that was exactly the size of my car in Chicago once).  Add to that, that the spot is on the opposite side that I'm used to.  And on a hill.  And the road was paved with cobblestones, and not brick sized ones - fist sized ones sticking out at all angles.  And it was raining and dark.  So, I had a lot of strikes against me.  Then add the last factor that I drive a stick shift.  So it was precarious to say the least.  I had to line up and gun it and then stop suddenly; those cobblestones did not make it easy.  But at last - success! I was parked nearly parallel to the street at an angle that would probably not get my car hit by another car driving down the road.

As Jane and I got out of the car, a man said, "Ah ha! I knew it was a teenage driver!"  It took me a second, but then I realized he was talking about me!  I would like to say that he was an old man with terrible eyesight, but he was probably only a few years older than we were.

So, on the one hand, it's nice to know that in the dark, I can still be mistaken for a teenager.  (I still get college student a lot, but it's been a while for teenager.)  But on the other hand, apparently I drive like a sixteen year old.  I guess you win some and you lose some.


2 comments:

  1. Oh so funny. I'm pretty sure all Ohioans can't parallel park well, because we were never required to do it for driver's ed. I'm AWFUL at it.

    Also, people are always really surprised when Ben & I say we're 30. They think we're younger. I guess it's a compliment?

    Anyway, I'm proud of your mad parallel parking on the opposite side of the street skillz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh . :) Way to look (and drive?) young? Let's say early twenty instead of teens. Teens kind of is an insult.... ;) Love you.

    ReplyDelete