Monday, November 24, 2008

hiking in hocking hills

About an hour southeast of the great city of Columbus there is a state park called Hocking Hills. (I don't know why it's called Hocking Hills, so don't ask.) Early Saturday morning, four of us headed down to the park for a hike. Now, I haven't really done much cold weather hiking in the past, but this hike was just absolutely lovely. I went with some adventurers who weren't afraid to leave the trail to go exploring. We found this absolutely amazing cliff, off the beaten path, and some great caves. We even walked back in a dry creek bed, which may have been my favorite part. (Especially since we didn't get lost.) And, sure, it was cold, but once we got moving we warmed up pretty quickly.

Another thing I really loved about this hike was that we didn't see any other people at all. The whole time it was just us. True, we were hiking on a horse trail and it may have been hunting season (I'm still not sure if it was or not) but it felt like we owned the whole place. Of course, then we realized that it was the perfect setting for a horror movie - four travelers, 2 girls and 2 boys, who left the path to go exploring get picked off one by one by the mysterious hocking monster. The only thing that would have made it better is if two of us had dated at one time or if we were cheating on our spouse with someone. (This was not the case for any of the parties involved.) Hopefully I was the main character in this film, so I survived. I'm a pretty good screamer, so there's a fair chance that I was.

And then Ohio state totally smoked Michigan in their annual rivalry football game. What could be better? (Of course I fell asleep during the 4th quarter, only to wake up to a text message when the game was over, but it was still a great day.) (Of course, last night I did dream that I was being attacked by monsters, but it was in the library, not out in the open.)

No comments:

Post a Comment