Friday, December 12, 2008

holiday books

Usually when people recommend books to me I just ignore them (unless the recommendations come from a reliable source like Erin J. or Rebecca). I mean, it's just hard for me to get into books unless I already have some kind of desire to read them. But this Christmas I am going to bite the bullet and read things that have been recommended to me in the recent past. Here is how my reading list looks so far:

- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (recommended by Bryce)
- Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs (recommended by Jacob and Dave)
- My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (recommended by Margret)
- The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchet (recommended by Aunt Krsten)
- The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (recommended by some crazy lady at work who I don't even know but who stopped me one day, noticing I had a book in my hand and therefore thinking I would want her unsolicited opinion on books.)
- Anything by Cicero (recommended by Derek)
- Anything by George McDonald (recommended by Joseph)
- Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier (recommended by Aunt Krsten)
- Some book about teenagers dying of cancer (recommended by Carrie)
- The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fford (recommended by Margret)
- My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok (recommended by Megan)
- Saharah Special by Esme Raji Codell (recommended by I don't know who. I found it on my shelf and I know it's not mine and I think someone must have lent it to me, but I don't know who. If it's yours, please let me know.)

Addendum:
- The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (recommended by Kate on behalf of the Relief Society book club)

So, as you can see, I'm pretty open right now. I am even going to try books that people probably don't remember recommending to me. I will really attempt to get through all of these by early January. And if you have any recommendations, now is the time because I may not be so open hearted in the future. (Especially if this experiment is an utter failure.)

Soon to come: reviews of these books along with my opinion of the recommender.

4 comments:

  1. So what would happen if I recommended Twilight? I have three copies of it and I will let you borrow a copy! Remember you are being open hearted about these suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! My roommate tried that one on me too, but here's my dirty little secret: I've already read it. So, for this holiday, it's out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. "Dave" recommended Cicero? He's only worth reading in Latin, so I'd suggest that you just move on and find a more contemporary writer. Just trying to save you the trouble so you can read Twilight again. *stifled snickers because I know you hated it*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or rather "Derek." Though his name could be Dave and he could just be lying...

    ReplyDelete