Monday, June 22, 2009

if we ever meet again it will be zion to me!

This last weekend, our singles ward took a trip to Nauvoo. We rode a bus all night long on Thursday and came back Saturday.

highlights
- I was pretty much the only one who slept on the bus on Thursday due to my amazing ability to sleep anywhere.
- Of course all the sites we saw were pretty neat. I've been to Nauvoo before, but it's still a good experience. I think my favourite thing I saw this time was the memorial to all the folks who died before making it out west and seeing some of my own relatives.
- I actually really enjoyed the corny show that we went to in the evening - "Sunset on the Mississippi" (which we did not watch outside due to recent rain - we saw it in the visitor's center). It was fun to see the little old missionary couples shuffling around singing. (I kind of hope my padres get called to Nauvoo on their next mission because I would love seeing dad having to sing and dance.)
- The night we stayed in Nauvoo, we stayed in a very nice place. They were called vacation condos or something like that. Loads of room for everyone, and not sketchy like some motels can be. I slept on a couch, and it was awfully comfortable.
- On Saturday morning, I was suckered into getting up at 5 to go running, but it was a really good run, so I'm glad I went. I honestly wish it was safe for a woman to run by herself at 5 in the morning because it is a wonderful time to run.
- Doing a session at that temple was great. I went to the open house years ago and it was neat to see it again.
- On Friday night I randomly ran into my aunt Krsten and cousin Samantha who were walking around the temple at the same time I was. This was especially fortuitous because I was having a competition with Lord Goring and David Copperfield to see who would run into the most people we knew and we were all tied up at 1. So running into Krsten and Sam made me the clear winner. (Plus, Krsten had her two nephews with her, which I also counted just in case even though I really didn't know them. Though, it turned out that I didn't need them.)

lowlights
- I think I must have fallen asleep with my glasses on on Friday night because I found them on the couch that I slept on the next day a little bent out of shape.
- By the end of the trip, we were all pretty tired and I think it was No Good for everyone to see how truly awful and mean I am when I'm tired.

In other news... Happy Father's Day! I went home to see dad. We watched that classic Father's Day film "Taken", which dad really likes. Mum gave me the treasures she bought for me while the padres were in Europe, which included a very lovely amber necklace, bringing my necklace collection up to 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment