Tuesday, December 8, 2009

i got the black lung pop. *cough*

I have some good news or bad news for you, depending on how you feel about me.  It turns out that I am mortal after all.  Remember how much I make fun of some of you for getting sick all the time?  It turns out karma is a cuss* and I finally got what was coming to me.

The timeline:
Sunday November 29: I had a bit of a tickle in my throat and I was really tired.
Monday: I woke up with a dreadful sore throat.  I called into work sick. (Only the 2nd time in my life I've done that.)  I went to the doctor and I didn't have strep, so I went home and tried to sleep it off.
Tuesday: I didn't have a fever, so I went to work even though my throat was still a bit sore and I was really tired. I left about an hour early and went home to take a nap.
Wednesday: I was feeling better and I went to work no problems.
Thursday: The coughing began.
Friday: I just couldn't stop coughing.  I went to work, but I think everyone was a little annoyed by my constant coughing.  At one point I was a little afraid I was going to throw up I was coughing so hard. So I went to the bathroom.  By now there were tears streaming down my face from the coughing.  There was a lady in the bathroom looking at me like I was insane - like I was a crazy girl coming into the bathroom to cry after a breakup or something.  I left work early.
Saturday:  I didn't sleep very well because of the cough.  When I woke up, I my voice was gone. I had to turn down an invitation for a cold weather run with the Werewolf. (I actually do love cold weather running.) (Any running, really.) I had to give my symphony tickets away to Rocket Boy. I had to turn down an invitation from Guy Montag to a chili cook-off.  I did still go to dinner for the Constant Gardener's send off (he's getting married on Friday), but it was hard because no one could hear me when I talked to them.
Sunday: Voice still mostly gone, but getting better. The Werewolf and Legolas took full advantage by trying to make me mad on purpose, knowing I couldn't retaliate.
Monday: After a better night's sleep, I'm feeling better. I went to work and I didn't have any coughing fits.  On the drive home, I did (tears and all), but I made it home safely.  Plus, I could talk again.
Today:  Still a bit of a tickle in the back of my throat, but it seems like things have mostly worked themselves out.

I'm sorry to people who get sick like that every year. Or even more than once a year.  It's an awful way to go through life. I'll try to be more sympathetic in the future.


ps.  One of the funny things about losing my voice was seeing how many people would whisper to me when we were talking.  It's okay friend - just because I can't talk doesn't mean you can't.

*Go see Fantastic Mr. Fox. You'll thank me later.

1 comment:

  1. Well, wouldn't losing your voice be hard for anyone to notice? You have a naturally soft voice as it is - unless you're screaming, then you are loud.

    ReplyDelete