Monday, July 13, 2009

nerd alert!

I'm a nerd; I know it. I guess it comes with the territory. It's hard to be a computer programmer by profession and not have geeky tendencies. I would say I'm not the worst nerd because I'm definitely not the best at what I do, but I am good enough to get by. And to enjoy things like xkcd and thedailywtf because I usually understand them.

Part of being a nerd is that I like numbers and calculations. In Columbus, one of the main highways through the city, 315, is currently under construction. Of course, this is the road I take to get to and from work. Contrary to being a problem, however, it has actually made my commute home much smoother. While the four mile stretch of road has a very strictly enforced 45 MPH zone, the traffic is always much less. So even though I'm driving slower, I am driving at a consistent speed with no slow downs or stops like my commute would be without the construction. I was wondering if the construction actually sped up my commute home. With various assumptions and calculations that I won't bore you with here, I discovered that with my margin of error, it is probably about the same travel time with or without the construction. And I actually feel like I come out on top with the construction because there is no congestion, so it feels like I'm getting home faster. Point being - I like the numbers proving that I'm not getting home any slower.

Other nerdy things this week:
- practical jokes nerds play : the it crowd (i love this show!)
- At work today, my boss told us that we don't have to support Internet Explorer for the project we're working on, just Firefox. One of my coworkers asked if we could stop supporting Windows and just support Linux. (Trust me, it's funny.)
- Another funny quote (to me) from the it crowd is when the lady tells the two nerds at a dinner party that they're all going to not to just talk about boring things all night like memory and RAM and one of them says, "RAM is memory!"
- I'm not sure if you've noticed, but I always edit the HTML of my posts so that links will pop up in a new window instead of taking over the current page. (Except for the link in my last post, because I wanted it to take over the page.) Today I changed the color of my links too, just because I can. (Though, that's not really super nerdy because anyone can do that.)
- Yesterday I got super excited talking to a guy in my ward who is also a computer nerd. He built his own router! It's nice to have someone to talk to who 1. understands what I'm talking about and 2. doesn't mock me for it, like most of my friends. (I'm looking directly at you, Legolas.)

No comments:

Post a Comment