Thursday, July 30, 2009

excuse me, what did you just say?

Many of you know that my roommate recently got engaged. (Congratulations, Scout!) Consequently, she will be moving out soon. How soon? Sometime before Christmas, will you please stop asking her?

Last night, I was talking to Legolas and he said if he could somehow get his roommate to get married, why then we could move in together! (He was joking, naturally, since we're both Mormon and that's frowned upon.)

Lest you worry about my mortal soul by me moving in with a boy when we are both still single, I will tell you it would never work out and here's why. The next thing he said was, "Of course, I own my place, so you'd probably have to move in here. It's a bit smaller, so we'd probably have to box up your books and put them into storage." And the thing is he wasn't joking!

I just stared at him a moment, my jaw moving up and down as I tried to come up with something to say to that. I mean - who ever heard of such a thing? Boxing up books to save room. It doesn't even make sense to my brain.

I write about books about every other post here, so I know you know how I feel about books. And I know some of you feel the same way too, but some of you don't. I guess it's the same with anything. I don't understand how people can be passionate about camping and hunting. Or being a Republican. Or watching The Gilmore Girls. People love all these things and it makes no sense to me. So, I guess sometimes people don't understand why I love books so much.

Point being - I couldn't even pretend to want to move in with Legolas if he has no room for my books in his house. Instead, I will stay in my own place and turn Scout's room into the library. Now there's a win-win situation.

2 comments:

  1. Legolas must be crazy, and not know you very well. How dare he?! Maybe he never got to watch Reading Rainbow as a child...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Congrats on getting an engaged roommate. I'm sure you had a lot to do with bringing them together.
    2. This reminds me of Juliet in the "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" and her broken engagement. Maybe your aunt is on to something after all...

    ReplyDelete