Wednesday, July 1, 2009

one short day in the emerald city

I am in Provo, Utah today. I flew in last night and I'm leaving tomorrow. I'm driving back to the Ohio with my little sister, Lydia. (She asked me to come so she wouldn't have to drive by herself.) So, the questions is - what does one do in Provo for one day?

Well, in my case, a lot of the day was spent in Salt Lake. I went to lunch with a friend. Then I headed off to my favorite little bookshop, The King's English, to meet up with the Librarian. Of all the things I miss in Utah (other than people) The King's English is what I miss the most. After the Librarian had to return to work, I lingered for a while, browsing books and missing having a really good bookshop to go to.

Next, I stopped at the BYU bookstore to get one of my favorite things in the whole world: chocolate covered cinnamon bears. Mmmmmm! I also got a new CTR ring. I lost my old one in the Caribbean Sea when I forgot to take it off while snorkeling in Belize. I know it's kind of lame, but I got one that was exactly the same as the one I lost. I suppose I just like things to be the same.

The rest of the day has just been spent helping Lydia pack stuff up. In the evening, Lydia, Lizzy and I went to dinner at P.F. Chang's. (Lizzy is my older sister who teaches statistics at BYU and the owner of the "Provo Motel" where I am staying last night and tonight. The Provo Motel does not have a very comfortable couch. But, hey - it's free.) Lizzy had a $50 gift certificate to the restaurant, so even with lettuce wraps and desserts, we only spent a total of $3. (We left a big tip.)

And that was my one day in Utah. The thing that kind of surprised me is how familiar everything was as I drove around. I mean, I've only been living out of Utah for a year and a half, but I've been out of Provo for five years and still everything seemed so ... the same .... to me. (Well, I was surprised at how big the mountains are here. I guess I'd forgotten that.)

The rest of this week won't be quite as fun as we are driving across the country. But I've made this drive so many times it hardly seems like a challenge anymore. Plus, I'm going to a Cubs game on Saturday. At least I'll have that to look forward to.

3 comments:

  1. So, are you Mary (uh oh) or Kitty? (UH OH!)? Hope your drive is a safe one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glasses, avid reader, socially awkward... definitely mary.

    literature is hard on 3rd daughers - first there's mary. then in little women beth dies.

    okay, that's all i can think of. but between being a nerd and being dead, i choose nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary scored us some sweet pf chang pens too.

    ReplyDelete