Sunday, November 1, 2009

earrings and things

The back story:  For Halloween, I wore a track suit, loads of makeup, big "Utah" hair, high heels, bangles and huge hoop earrings. Then, a name tag that said "your mom".  I'm not going to lie, it was pretty hot.

The story:  The earrings I wore came with two other, smaller pairs.  I decided to wear the smallest of the three to church. 

At the beginning of Sunday School, before separating for classes, each organization makes announcements for what they have coming up.  This week it was Legolas's turn to make the announcement for the activities committee.  Before he got up, a member of my committee asked if she could say something about break the fast when I gave the announcement.  I told her it was Legolas's turn, but that she still could.  Well, when he stood up to give the announcement - he wasn't close to me (for once) - and I tried to get his attention so I could tell him that this girl needed to say something.

Mid-announcement, Legolas said, "Hold on, kristin is trying to say something to me, but I'm being distracted by her huge hoops."  Half the ward turned around to look at me and I got many compliments throughout the day on my lovely earrings.

Later, Guy Montag came up to me and asked what the deal was with my big lips.  I must have had a confused look on my face because he said, "You know, what Legolas was distracted by?"  I told him Legolas said "hoops" not "lips".  Guy said that I should make sure that's what people thought he said because it sure sounded like lips to him.

He was not the only one who misheard.  On the drive home, Scout told me that another (male) member of the ward thought that Legolas said "boobs".  (Of course, one look at me, and you know I've got nothing that could be considered distracting in that area.)

I guess the take away here is to be careful of the words you use when describing other people in front of the whole ward.


No comments:

Post a Comment