Thursday, November 12, 2009

i can't think of a title for this post

According to the Brothers Bloom, the best con is one in which everyone involved thinks they get what they want.  This post doesn't apply to cons, but it does apply to everyone getting what they want.

As you may or may not be aware, Scout was married last Saturday.  My original plan for my apartment when Scout left was to turn her room into my library.  As time went on, however, I became aware that I didn't really want to live alone.  And one day, I was thinking about this and I thought, "I wonder if Scarlet would enjoy living here."  About a month later, I was at a party with Scartlet (and others) and I just decided to ask her.  She had been living at home, so I wasn't sure that she'd be enamoured with the idea, seeing as she'd be saving money by not living with me, but I figure what could be the harm in asking.

(Aside: this is how I usually recieve spiritual promtings.  I have ideas that seem like good ideas and I act on them without thinking about them too much.)

Well, she was all for it.  Even more than I expected.  I guess she currently shares a room with her sister and she wanted some more space before she starts school back up in January.  Plus, the added benefit of living with me.  So she said yes in a New York minute.

The funny thing is, Scarlet thinks I'm doing her a favor.  Last night she started moving some of her stuff in and she thanked me (again) for inviting her to live with me.  But in reality, I think it's her that's doing me a favor.  I get a roommate who is sweet and easy going.  It will save me money and sanity.  When I live alone I do crazy things like talk to myself out loud (more than usual).  And I don't like looking out the blinds because what if there is an alien with poison gas leaking out its fingers waiting for me out there?  And don't get me started on the basement.   Who know what crazy stuff lives down there when I'm alone?  And I do other crazy things like wear hats like this around the house all day.



And the first night that Scout was gone there was a ginormous spider just hanging in front of my door.  Just hanging there! And I'm not kidding when I say it was ginormous.  It was at least as big as my thumb.  If I had a roommate at the time, I could have called her to let me in the back door (which is barred most of the time).  But as it was, I was trapped. Luckily, Legolas was in the neighborhood, and I had him come rescue me, so I didn't have to sleep outside.

So you see, it's mutually beneficial.  Scarlet thinks she's getting the better end of the deal, but I think I'm really lucking out here too. It's a win win win situation.

1 comment:

  1. I like win, win, win situations . . . plus I like that each of your roommates have interesting names: Scout and Scarlet- I like it!

    ReplyDelete