Wednesday, March 18, 2009

nobody nose the trouble i've seen

My nose has had a hard life. I seem to be rather hard on my nose, physically speaking. (Emotionally speaking, I am very abusive to my nose. I think it is too big, and I'm not afraid to tell it. If there was a diet for noses, I would enroll mine.)

When I was a young lass, maybe 2 or 3, I was even less graceful than I am now (if that even seems possible) and I tripped and fell into the hearth. My mom said my nose bled so much she thought she might have to take me to the hospital. (She didn't, though. For some reason my family doesn't like going to the doctor.) Possibly due to that incident or possibly just from living in a very dry climate, I got frequent nose bleeds as a kid. (If you didn't know, from the time I was about 1 through third grade, I lived in Wyoming.) I can still remember many a trip down to the nurse's office to lay on the couch until my nose stopped bleeding. (It was back in the days when they had you lay down on your back to stop a nose bleed. I think that may have changed now.)

Then, when I was a sophmore in college, my roommate Nat the Rat was an expert juggler. She could do rings, bowling pins, knives - pretty much anything you could throw at her (haha - throw at her). She even had some fire battons. One day she was in the clubhouse practicing for an upcoming talent show and I was in there with her just messing around. We thought - hey, wouldn't it be funny to play ring toss with these juggling rings and our heads? (I would say we were young and dumb, which we were, but I'm not saying I wouldn't do something like that again.) (And, ps, it really was funny.) We were getting to be fairly decent shots when one toss made it safely over my head, but the inside edge of the ring landed smack on the bridge of my nose on the way down. It was blue for a week. I still have a small scar, if you know what you are looking for.

The latest occurance of nose abuse happened last Friday. (This is why my nose is on my mind, of course.) We had a ward activity which was a film festival. My friend, Orin, and I won "best kiss" even though we didn't actually kiss. (Long story.) Well, as we were going up to accept our award, he thought it would be funny to pretend to kiss me again. Only, he was far too forceful and he totally smashed my nose with his head. I thought it could have been broken. Thankfully it didn't bleed. Only it still hurts five days later and is a little bit red. Not didn't wear sunscreen while skiing red, just cartoon drunk red.

Well, at least everyone knows I'm the best kisser in the ward (or something like that) so I guess it was worth it. My poor little nose. It will feel better after fat camp this summer.

2 comments:

  1. Remember the quote on our quote door: "Me? I like kissing." Not surprised at all that you won best kiss in the ward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Doctor said my nose would quit bleeding if I just kept my finger out of there...

    Simpson's quote actually.

    ReplyDelete