Sunday, May 17, 2009

home sick and job update

I came home from church after sacrament meeting today because I was feeling ill. It was kind of annoying because 1. I never get sick, so what's going on? and 2. I don't feel good. I probably would have toughed it out except it's a rather severe sore throat and I was worried about getting other people sick. I'm not sure what I'll do if I still feel this way tomorrow, because I would really rather not call in sick.

But on the other hand, being sick has gotten me out of hanging out with people today, which I really didn't feel like doing. (I know what you're thinking - maybe I don't feel like hanging out with people because I feel sick, to which I tell you to shut up.) Also, it gave me time to do things I've been putting off like cleaning my room doing my laundry and opening my bills. And updating my blog. (But I wasn't really putting that off.)

So, I'm sure you've all been waiting with baited breath for an update on my new job. (SURE you have, but you have to read about it anyway. Or just stop reading. One of the two.)

Monday I started my new job at the Department of Legistative Information Systems (or LIS for short). And you know what - so far I really like it. I work downtown on the 22nd floor of an office tower and it's really neat. I've never worked downtown anywhere before. I like walking around at lunch. I like riding the elevator up to the 22nd floor and looking out the windows at the city. (I don't have a window in my cubicle, but there are windows available to me.) It's a way smaller office than the one I just came from. There are maybe 20 to 25 people in the whole department and 3 people on the project I myself am working on. My old project had 120 people on it and probably a thousand in the department or more. So the dynamics are very different. It's usually pretty quiet during the day - there's not people constantly walking around everywhere. And everyone knows each other pretty well, of course, so there's often friendly banter going around. Plus, I'm not allowed to work overtime. Do you have any idea how exciting that is to me? (Answer: very exciting.) My old job had manditory overtime and I hated it. I felt like I was always at work. At this place I'm in at 7:30 and out by 4 or 4:30. Plus, they have no problem with people leaving before 4 if you come in earlier. I love it. I guess the only complaint I have about this place really is that almost everyone is white. (You know how I feel about whilte people.) But so far they have been very nice to me, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you don't have swine flu! If you had said you had felt nauseated I would have made a pregnancy comment.

    That's all!

    Anne: Not pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like your new job. Sorry about all those blasted white people. Whatever will you do?

    ReplyDelete