Wednesday, May 27, 2009

i'm older than i think i am

You know how people who are older than us are always saying things like "Wow, I must be getting old?" And remember how you always laughed at them into your sleeve because you know they really are old? Well, I guess I've decided I must be getting old too. You may not believe me because I look like I'm about 22. Coraline told me that she thinks all Mormons are deceitful in that most of us look younger than we really are, but I don't think that is true. I know plenty of Mormons who definitely look their age (or older).

Anyway, my "I must be getting old" story is as follows. Last weekend I went to Cleveland with Legolas. We were listening to music from my iPod, and I could tell that Legolas wasn't really into it. We do have different music tastes. I was playing mostly rock that was pretty new and that he didn't recognize. I told him I would play something he would for sure know and I put on "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" by R.E.M. I thought everyone knew that song. I thought it was a classic. But Legolas didn't know it! He said it sounded kind of familar, but it wasn't something he really remembered. I was completely shocked. So then a few days later, I asked the Librarian if she knew the song and she didn't either. She said she might recognize it if she heard it, but she didn't know it off hand.

And, well, I am a few years older than both Legolas and the Librarian, and "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" did come out when I was in Jr. High. So, I guess I really am getting old. So, will you kids turn your music down? And for pete's sake - get off my lawn!

1 comment: