Friday, October 2, 2009

frazzled

When I was a kid, we used to say our mom was "frazzled".  It seemed like a much nicer word than "ditzy".  Besides, she isn't blond and it seems only blonds can be truly ditzy.

Well, for the time being, I'm blond.  And I can say I am truly ditzy sometimes.  And I don't even have five children, so I can't claim anything other than myself for my shortcomings.  And of course, I've got a few stories to illistrate my point.

Story 1:
My temple recommend expired in September.  So I needed a new one because I like having a current temple recommend and also because I'm going to a wedding next weekend and usually they don't let you witness temple weddings without one.  So, I made an appointment with the bishop on Tuesday and got a new one.  While I was in his office, he had me get out my old recommend so he could copy down the membership information and what not.  At the end of the interview, he gave me back my old recommend (I was going to use it again before it expired) and the new one so I could take it to my stake president interview.  I put them both in my journal, so I wouldn't lose them.

Wednesday I had an appointment at the temple.  I was going to leave and I thought - Oh yeah, my recommend is in my journal, I'd better go get it.  But when I went to get it, it wasn't there! Panic! I checked again.  And again.  I checked my car in case it slipped out in there.  I called Legolas because I'd gone to his house after the interview, but he couldn't find it either.  I called the temple and told them I wasn't coming.  I looked everywhere again.  I went through every page of my journal.  I went to the church to see if it has somehow fallen out and someone had found it, but I had no luck there either.  The thing I couldn't understand is how both recommends were gone - how had both the new and the old one fallen out and gotten lost.  It was distressing.  I wasn't looking forward to calling the bishop and telling him I'd need another new recommend because I lost the first one within 24 hours of getting it.

Well, the next day - yesterday - I found it on accident.  It was in my purse.  How had I not thought to check my purse?  I can only say in my head I somehow knew I put it in my journal and so my brain wouldn't even entertain ideas of looking in other places. 

Story 2:
Yesterday I went with some friends to a Mike Birbliglia show.  (The comedian, not the singer.  That's Michael Buble.)  It was down town.  I work downtown, so naturally I knew where we were going.  But when we got there, I was like - wait, that's the Ohio Theatre there, not the Capitol Theatre.  I still thought I knew where we were going and I directed us to walk around the block, but that was the Palace Theatre.  Now, I was throroghly confused.  Luckily, Legolas knew what was going on and directed us aright.  He got us to the Capitol Theatre, which just happens to be in the same building as my office.  How did I miss that?  I go to that building five days a week and I've seen the signs for the Capitol Theatre probably every day I've been there, yet something just didn't connect.

Side Note:
Today at work, I noticed three bottles of half empty (half full?) bottles of diet coke in the refrigerator and I'm about 80% sure they're all mine.  Just not quite sure enough to throw them away.  





3 comments:

  1. So, wait. Blond hair? Did you do something crazy in Japan? I think that's a story in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. by illistrate do you mean illustrate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got a temple recommend? Yea right...

    ReplyDelete