Monday, October 26, 2009

just when i thought i was in a safe place

Remember my last post? Okay, fine, so maybe sometimes I bring it upon myself.

Last Saturday I went to the temple with Legolas.  (Yes, Braden, I am temple worthy and I go. So there.)  In the Columbus temple, you have to make appointments for everything you do.  By the time we were making appointments, the only thing available was sealings.  Well, I enjoy sealings, and temple work is temple work, right? Right.  So we went.

I should have known better.

It started out when I ran into a woman from my home branch.  We chatted for a bit and then I said I needed to get off to the sealing room.  She raised her eyebrows in surprise and then gave me a knowing smile.  I didn't know how to respond, so I just went my way.

When we were there, the sealer went around asking for last names.  There were two couples besides Legolas and me.  The sealer asked for Legolas's last name, and I could tell he was going to go on before asking me, so I just piped up with, "And my last name is Neeley."

"Oh!" he said, surprised.  He consulted his list of names.  "We do have a Sister Neeley on the list.  I guess that's why you should never assume anything, right?"  Right.

We had to wait a few minutes for someone to come in so one of the other couples asked us about ourselves.  I said I was a native of Ohio.  Legolas said he was originally from Utah, but he'd moved to Ohio for dental school.

"Oh!" said the sealer, knowingly.  "I bet that's not the only reason you were supposed to come out here."  He looked pointedly at me.  I didn't know what to say.  It didn't seem like the time or place to tell him that Legolas and I were just friends.  (Sometimes boys and girls can just be friends. I know! It's true!)  We just let it slide.

Another temple worker came into the room to help out.  The sealer was telling him about the people in the room and then he said, looking at Legolas and me, "And we get to do some practice sealings today!"  I turned my head and laughed.  Still we didn't know what to say.

After the session was over, the sealer came to talk to Legolas and me.  He must of noticed that we didn't hold hands and the general lack of googaly-ness on our part and perhaps he thought it was his fault.  He apologized for saying we were doing practice sealings and hoped we weren't mad. Of course we weren't - we thought it was pretty funny.  That eased his mind.  But I'm sure he still went home to his wife and told her how wonderful it was that young people these days were going on dates to the sealing room of the temple.

We were able to leave the temple without further incident.



2 comments:

  1. Don't hate me for saying this or kick me off of the activities committee: I USED to think you had a crush on Legolas. On second thought please kick me off of activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! tara, you are funny. for thinking that you will never get released.
    mwa haaa haaaaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete