Wednesday, October 21, 2009

ode to the librarian

One of the most fun things about being in Utah last weekend was seeing my friend, the Librarian, in the flesh.  We talk to each other a great deal, but it's always lovely to see your friends in person.  (Well, usually it's fun to see your friends in person.  But it is always fun to see the Librarian in person.)  I think the reason we get along so well is that we are basically the same person - funny, readers, just a little bit inappropriate.  (Plus she's a total hottie.) When we're together we just make fun of things the whole time.  When we were in the same ward we had to not sit next to each other in sacrament meeting.  Because you already know I'm going to be saying inappropriate things and it just makes it worse to have a ready and willing listener and replier. 

One of the ways that the Librarian differs from me is in the giving of gifts.  She is way better at it than I am.  She is just so amazingly creative. 

Last summer I recieved this as a prize:


Yeah, it's a gong.  No, I'm not telling you what I won it for.

Then for my birthday that year she got me this:


Because what pirate doesn't need a spyglass?  I've definitely used it for spying.  On ships.

And for Christmas last year:


It's a mug.  I'm pretty sure it's made out of a real human skull.

And finally for my birthday this year:


I guess she's trying to make me understand white people better.  (Plus she also gave me a book and a pirate pen. She is the only person brave enough to give me books any more.  It really is dangerous because I do have an awful lot of books, but she still braves it.) 

How does she come up with this stuff?  The best I can do usually is a gift card to Barnes and Noble.  I'm pretty sure that we'd still be friends even if she wasn't such a great present giver, but I'm pretty worldy, so maybe not.  The point is... I hope I can enter another contest with her soon!

1 comment: