Wednesday, October 7, 2009

oooooooooh fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddggggee

Yesterday, I decided to go outside for lunch to stretch my legs and get some fresh air.  I was planning on stopping by my car briefly to grab something, so I had my keys with me.  I didn't bring my purse because who wants to be lugging that around and it was perfectly safe at my desk.  So I just had my keys hanging lightly out of my pocket - the one key in the pocket, the rest outside kind of thing.  (I don't like having my pockets full of keys.) 

As I was stepping out of the elevator, I felt my keys slip out of my pocket.  I looked down for them, but I didn't see them, which confused me.  I felt my pocket to see if I was wrong and they were still there.  Then I saw the horrified look on the face of the woman still in the elevator. 

"They went down that hole," she said in hushed tones, pointing to the gap between the elevator and the floor.

It took me a second to realize what she was saying.  I saw the look on the faces of the people waiting for the elevator - they seemed shocked.  It sunk in - my keys were not going to be found on the floor.  I wasn't quite sure what the next step was, so I just stood there stupidly for a moment trying to think what to do.

"The security people can get them for you," said the lady in the elevator. 

I decided this was my best chance in any case, so I got back into the elevator and took it to the ground floor.  The lady in the elevator, deciding I was incompetent, strode up to the security desk and told them I'd lost my keys down the elevator shaft.  I smiled and tried to look like I wasn't an idiot.  The security guy said he could get my keys, no problem, and what did they look like?  I told him, but then I was wondering why would he ask me such a question. Was he expecting a whole heap of keys down there and wanted to make sure he brought back the right ones?  Did he think that I saw someone else drop their keys and if I got to security first, I'd get them?  I don't know the answers.  But he did bring me back the right set of keys, and sent me on my way.

At least I didn't drop them into a pool of lava because then, man, they'd be gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment